Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What are the office hours?

Platte-Clay is open from 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM Central time Monday-Friday with the exception of major holidays.

Platte-Clay provides 24/7/365 emergency after-hours service.

What is your mailing address to mail payments?

Platte-Clay Electric Co-op, PO Box 100, Kearney, Mo., 64060

Where are the drop boxes locations to drop off payments?

Drop boxes are located at each office:

The Platte City District Office is at 15055 Bethel Road.

The Kearney office is located at 1000 W. Hwy. 92.

In addition to the two drop boxes at the offices, Platte-Clay has an additional drop box at the Platte-Clay Fuels station on Hwy. 92 in Platte City, across from the high school, just west of I-29.

What is required to establish new service?

The individual requesting service will need to complete the online form or call the office, (816) 628-3121, between 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM to establish service. The co-op requires the Social Security number (SSN) and date of birth. All responsible parties must be listed on the account and include their SSN and date of birth, such as a husband and wife or roommates, and phone numbers.

Please note: all past due balances must be paid in full before establishing service at another location.

How can I find out if PCEC services a particular address?

For an existing home, please call the office, (816) 628-3121 and Platte-Clay will check the database.

Sometimes the home or land owner, for a new home, or the county can provide that information.
For a new location with no street address, provide the nearest cross streets and nearest neighboring address and call the office, (816) 628-3121.

What are capital credits?

As a nonprofit electric utility, Platte-Clay needs only to cover the cost of yearly operation within good business practices. Any capital over and above that cost (net profit) is collected and allocated back to our member-customers. Anyone who receives electric service from Platte-Clay becomes a member, and an owner of the co-op.

As a co-op member, you share in the profits of your cooperative. The longer you use the service, the more monetary equity you accumulate. We call this equity allocations, which is the total sum of annual capital (equity) accrued by the member during their prior year or years of service with Platte-Clay. Allocations are similar to, but not the same as, dividends earned by shareholders of an investor-owned company. The actual cash amount (refund, called a capital credit check) each member receives back is determined by the cooperative Board of Directors and is usually a percentage of the total allocation amount from a previous year or years of service.

What are Platte Clay Electric’s rates for Residential and Small and Medium Commercial Service?

Platte-Clay’s rates are posted here on the website.

What does Platte-Clay sell?

The co-op sells a limited number of items as a member benefit; for instance, water heaters and Ritchie animal waterers.

Questions about my bill

How can I make a payment by phone?

To make a payment using the automated telephone system (interactive voice response unit, IVR) please have your member number found on the front of the invoice in the upper right corner. Using the automated system requires an up-to-date telephone number associated with a member’s account.

How do I find out the amount due on an account?

Look on your bill, check your account online or call the office.

How do I find out the date payment is due on an account?

Look on your bill, check your account online or call the office.

How can I find out the date of the last payment on my account?

Look on your bill, check your account online or call the office.

What is my location number to set up an online account?

Look on your bill or or call the office.

What is the $25.38 monthly customer charge?

The customer charge helps pay for the cost of the co-op infrastructure, the cost of lines and equipment in place to provide electric service to each member.

Can I pay automatically, and how do I set it up?

Yes. To set up automatic payments, register your account online or call the office, (816) 628-3121, and we will mail a form to complete and return, including your signature, and the co-op will set up the account. Payments can be made from checking or savings accounts or a credit card.

Can I call each month and pay by phone?

Yes, call (816) 628-3121. Platte-Clay’s automated telephone system, with interactive voice response, IVR, also can take payments and a dispatcher is on duty 24/7 if members need help. Please call the office or go online to update your telephone number, if it has changed, so it is always current and you can take advantage of the automated telephone system.

Is there a charge to pay by phone or online?

No, there is no charge to pay by phone or to use the online service.

How much is the late fee?

The late fee is $10 for residential members and $25 for commercial members.

Can I pay with cash?


Does Platte-Clay offer a level or a budget payment plan?

Yes. Members who have lived in the same location for a year and who have kept their account current can sign a budget billing agreement. The amount charged each month will be based on historical usage, leveling out consumption spikes for high summer and high winter use. The account will be trued up each year and the amount paid each month adjusted either up or down based on energy used. If a member discontinues service, the bill must be trued up and and the member must pay for all energy used to that point.

What are the requirements to go on budget billing?

Members must have lived in the same location for a year and have paid on time for six months.

Members will be required to sign an agreement to pay the average usage over the last 12 months, which will determine the payment. This amount is “trued up” each year, adjusted up or down based on usage. If the member moves, he or she will be required to pay the difference, if usage exceeded the budget amount, or will get a refund if usage was under the budgeted amount at the time of closing the account.

Where is my member number and location number listed on my bill?

For a full explanation of the co-op monthly invoice, please see the bill explanation located here on the website.

What is my grace period?

Payments are due on the due date; after that accounts are subject to a late fee.

Can I have more than one meter and is there a charge for that?

Yes, members can have more than one meter at a location. There is a monthly customer charge of $25.38 per meter.

Where can I find my disconnect notice?

Members whose services are subject to be disconnected will find the notice on the front page of the bill. Past due amounts are due immediately.

Why do you not send out separate disconnect notices via mail in addition to the notice printed on my bill?

The monthly bill with a disconnect message is the written notice. Bills are due on receipt, so there is no need for a second notice.

When is my bill considered late?

Bills are due on receipt, subject to a late fee after the due date.

Can I opt out of receiving a paper invoice and have my bill e-mailed to me?

Yes. Members can sign up online or call the office during regular business hours, 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM Central time. Call (816) 628-3121.

If my current due date for my electric services does not work for me, can I change it?

Yes, call the office, (816) 628-3121 and a customer service representative will assist you.

How do I remove a name from my electric account?

Call the office, (816) 628-3121 to close the existing account and open a new account–without the other person on the account. The new account will be in the member’s name, along with the names of any other responsible parties.

Why do you need to close out my existing electric account, and open up a new account in order to remove someone from my electric account?

If the account is in more than one name, everyone on that account is an owner and the recipient of capital credit checks.

Capital credit checks will begin accruing for the new account and benefit the new or different owner(s).

How to report an outage

How do I report an outage?

Call the office, any time, 24/7/365. Customer service representatives, dispatchers and the automated telephone system can process outages. The easiest and fastest way is to use the automated telephone system, which will log your location and in fact, help pinpoint the problem, resulting in faster restoration. To check to see if an outage in your area has been reported, please visit the Storm Center.

How can I call in an outage using the automated telephone system? (The automated telephone system is called the interactive voice response unit, IVR.)

The automated system will use its Caller ID system to search for your phone number in the co-op member database. (Using the automated telephone system will help save time: this is one of the reasons why it’s important to keep all telephone numbers current.)

If the phone number is found in the database, it will ask if the outage is for a particular service address.

If the phone number is not found, the system will prompt member for the 10 digit phone number, beginning with the area code. If the phone number entered is not found in the member database, it will prompt the member for the 8 digit location number. The location number is found on the second page of the invoice. (This location number and member number are good to have in the cell phone and on the refrigerator for ease in using the automated system.)

If the member has more than one service location, the automated system will asked if the outage is for the service at each different service address.

How can I report a street light that isn’t working?

Call the office, (816) 628-3121, 24/7/365 to speak with a representative. A street light not working properly cannot be reported using the automated system.

PCEC Products and Services

What does Platte-Clay sell?

The co-op sells a limited number of items as a member benefit; for instance, Ritchie waterers, water heaters and security lights. Platte-Clay’s affiliated company, Platte-Clay Fuels, provides additional member benefits.

What do I do if I have a tree that needs to be trimmed?

Call the office, (816) 628-3121. Platte-Clay’s tree trimming contractor is on a scheduled maintenance plan, but if a tree poses a hazard to electric lines, the co-op will send them to trim the trees within a few days.

What is the charge for a security light?

Security lights begin at $8.35 a month and may be more depending on the type of light and other variables, such as wattage.

How can I have my underground electric lines marked?

Call 1-800-DIG-RITE (1-800-344-7483), which is the state call center for most utilities, including Platte-Clay. Platte-Clay marks up to the meter; the area between the meter and the home is the homeowner or business responsibility.

The utilities will mark their facilities within three working days. To register online, go to

Can you provide any recommendations for electricians?

No, we do not make contractor recommendations.

Do you sell air conditioners and/or furnaces?

No, we do not sell them, although Platte-Clay offers rebates for Energy Star rated room air conditioners and rebates for energy efficient geothermal and dual fuel furnaces. For details, find information on the rebates here on the website.

What benefits do I receive if I have a Water Heater Service Agreement on my water heater?

Please see water heaters in that section in the website for detailed information.

What is the water heater service agreement?

Please see the water heaters section on the website for details.

What benefits will I receive if I sign up for a Co-op Connections Card?

There are medical, dental, prescription, local and national benefits available through the Co-op Connections Card. Please visit

Can I get used poles?

Yes. Platte-Clay used poles are free. To make arrangements, contact Platte-Clay’s warehouse, Arkansas Electric, at (816) 903-7394 between 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM The warehouse is closed noon to 1 p.m.

Can I purchase wire and other parts from your office?

Yes. To make arrangements, contact Platte-Clay’s warehouse, Arkansas Electric, at (816) 903-7083 between 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM The warehouse is closed noon to 1 p.m.